Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Working hard ... or hardly working

We were warned that working would be very different abroad... that the work load would be lighter and the work place generally more relaxed, but I certainly overestimated my internship still.
The thing is, I don't really mind hard work... I think I prefer it. From a pretty young age my parents instilled in me a sense of urgency to work, make money, and save. I never really minded working, whether it was babysitting, lifeguarding, serving, ect.. I like being busy and earning something.
So today when I came to work and was required to do nothing, I really felt rather lost. My boss, a young Moldovan woman who speaks English with a sharp British accent was very vague about what she wanted me to do. . ."ahhh yes you will do research or something..."
Uh yes... but research what exactly. It was extremely unclear, and the "or something" definitely could be clarified a little more too.
When asking for tasks of any sort I was vaguely dismissed, but I guess I will figure something out.
I don't think that day one at work would have be so bad either if all my coworkers didn't speak to each other in Romanian all the time either. Though it is really understandable that they speak in their native language to each other, I know I would speak in my primary language too.  I don't think I've ever felt as alone as I did sitting at a table listening to my five officemates chatter back in forth in rolling Romanian tongues. All the same, I felt such a strong sense of appreciation every time my officemate, Ana, would clue me in with quick translation.

I want to clarify that I may seem silly being ungrateful for lack of work, but I guess I will adjust from the rigor of my Lehigh classes and multiple summer jobs to the laid back style of Moldovan work. When in Moldova, do as the Moldovans do, right? YOMO.
But, in all seriousness I don't think I can trust my boss because she told me she doesn't like kids today. Like c'mon you just can't trust a child hater.
So enough about work, thats rather boring anyway.


Some things I'm realizing on ..what is this day four?
1. Smoking. It's very cheep and done often. My coworkers love to take smoke breaks. Apparently cigarettes are extremely cheep in Moldova... like I want to say 50 cents but I'll have to fact check that tomorrow.
2. Moldovans are aware that Moldova is sort of uhhh as they say "shitty". When asked my opinion at work of Chisinau they actually laughed in my face when I said some parts of the city where beautiful.  But then again, I think there's a beauty in the cracks and ruins, there's  culture and history her far older than what I am used to seeing.
3. Again the heels. Okay, so I tried wedges thinking that was reasonable. Hardcore niz there, my friends. The sidewalks are a patchwork, a mosaic of sorts of chipped pavement, rocky patches, wood walkways, uneven cement, and of course just straight up dirt. So walking six blocks to work without rolling an ankle was quite a feat.
4. Staring. Oh the stares. I should be used to people turning 180 degrees when they hear the four of us Americans speaking English. The strange thing is they stare and continue to stare at us as they talk about us in Romanian. Very strange.
5. The food is so cheep. I haven't paid more than $3 for a meal yet. At least I'm not losing any money right?

So at the end of day one at work, yes, I may be feeling somewhat defeated, absolutely exhausted, a little lonely, and choked up over my first Facetime from the States.

But, I still have moments with Francesca that lift me up. We have been working together for about an hour each night... between our English-Romanian books and Google Translate... over long walks around the lake ("Lac") or over a bowl of strawberries and cherries ("capsuni si cirese"), we have been able to create small connections. This has to be my favorite hour of my day. I wish I could really share how amazing this has been, to patiently teach and be taught. Francesca and I are a funny pair, occupying a flat rather quietly other than the small phrases we have both come to understand.
So yes, in regards to the language i've been working hard, while the internship..ehh hardly working.


The Cathedral in the central of "Cathedral Park". A very fitting name, I tip my hat to those clever Moldovans. 

Icecream with Mikayla's host family! Her two sisters Inga and Ana Marie both speak english, but their mother does not. This is very common in Moldova for the younger generations to know english well. 

Okay, so I tried to get a picture but this is nuts. Like packs of dogs straight chilling. This was directly across the street from the very cute ice-cream place. They don't bother anyone, and no one pays attention to them at all.. they just sort of wander and it is amazing that they don't get hit by cars.


David, our American Councils supervisor showing us some survival Romanian. 


I just really like the colors. Chisinau has a rather simplistic beauty of sorts. 




No comments:

Post a Comment