Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Pressure to Post #blogprobs

Ay! I've almost his two thousand views which is crazy because I didn't expect you silly people to actually read this. All the same I appreciate your blog responses, texts, emails, and ect with your various commentary. I hope that I am able to give Moldova the press it deserves. Apologizes to any Moldovans who have read this and may take offense to any of my own silly commentary, I want to reiterate that your country is beautiful beyond the harsh potholes and soviet style, utilitarian buildings. This has been a tremendous experience and I am glad to be here despite the literal and figurative bumps in the road.

I also want to apologize to the people reading back at home... or Meg who is reading from Mylasia (Another roomie shoutout) because I believe my post have become just a tad dry conveying my day to day life. I want to clarify that everyday has been an adventure. These adventures though come in all shapes; taking the bus to work early to walk around and find a new coffee place; turning a different street corner and finding a new way to get to common destinations; trying a new Moldovan food as suggested by my coworker; asking questions and really trying to know and understand the lives of the Moldovans I've been fortunate enough to meet. I won't bore you with the details of day to day life, that really fall short in my typing and quick pictures, but I will reiterate that this has been a great adventure (and way better than working three jobs back at home). 

This morning I woke up with Ana Maria and Inga to run! They crack me up. Tomorrow I'm going to try to do a little more distance in hopes to counter all the bread I've been eating. 
When we returned home, Inga and Ana Maria's parents were just arriving from their country with flowers and cake for Mikayla's birthday. We then woke her up (at seven am... she didn't have to be work for hours!) to sing happy birthday. Mikayla (who values her sleep very very much... like will sleep all day if you let her) was quite surprised her early morning birthday singing wake up call (La mulţi ani! Another phrase I've learned to say!)
I managed another successful busride to work (YES! GO ME!) and fairly uneventful day. Again we drank champagne to celebrate the birthday of my coworker, Christina (YES! I got to practice " La mulţi ani!" again! Another win for team Wescott! The coworkers were quiteee impressed, i must say.) I think I've had champagne at work each week I've been here, so that's got to be another win. I don't understand why Americans aren't bringing champagne to work... then again, my previous jobs (like lifeguarding) probably wouldn't have been good champagne drinking jobs. I think If i am every to own a business of my own {i would love too.. maybe an art gallery, or a cafe, or a design firm... the possiblities are endless} we will have champagne day and everyone will be required to have some. I think it's good for team moral.) Sorry about that tangent. Ana also was telling me how I'm basically a criminal for "technically" drinking underage and at work. I'm glad that's what my coworkers think of me.
So yeah work was GREAT. YES CHAMPAGNE. 
Other work things: I really like the people I work with. They are a funny group. Raluca is our boss and runs the show with her very blunt personality, but she cracks me up. She is insisted that I go to Italy, and I am beyond grateful that she wants me to make the most of this experience. Then where is Ana, who is new as well, shares the same silly sense of humor as me. She also has killer awesome curly red hair. I also really like Ana because she includes me in all the conversation and helps me order food at lunch. Then there is other Anna, who is so sweet and is getting married this fall! The whole office all teases her and calls her 'barbie' because she is blond and so sweet. Christina (who's birthday is today) is only 19 and working here at Hospice while still in high school. She seems so much older than 19 though, and just like.. knows a lot. Then there is Judith, who is here through a European exchange/volunteer program (She is from Spain) and isn't all that crazy about the work aspect of ...um working, but she is all about the smoke breaks!.  I think she is in her late 20s, she cracks me up because she told me she was trying to figure out what she wanted to do with her life... I told her I could relate. Then there is Thomas, the only guy in our office of six women! Poor Thomas. He is so quiet and red-hair Ana and I are always trying to get him to join in conversation. All together, the dynamic is funny, and I love that I finally have found where I fit in (the also talk in English more now, which is much appreciated)

Other thoughts.
Guys, I know most of you don't think so (ehmm Zach ehmm), but Eastern Europe is totally cool. Like yes, I know it's mostly cool because I have now traveled here and put Moldova on the maps (only joking), but in all seriousness if you're a bad ass or the real deal you go to eastern Europe... just maybe not the Ukraine. From what I understand from others, this part of Europe is so incredibly different from the Western half. I can definitely tell you it is an entire universe coming from the U.S. And no, this is definitely not most people's most desirable tourist destination, it is still a small treasure. Moldova is very real. From living in the country-sides and eating everything fresh to talking to my boss about her experience growing up in a soviet country behind a weapons and ammunition factory, you don't make this stuff up. Since traveling here I see things differently. I have a new global outlook not only on things like politics and corruption, but just this shared human experience as a whole. My boss and I, and everyone in the office, grew up with such different back grounds, entirely different world! Yet here we are sharing the same office, same desk, and with the same mission. I don't know, something about that really amazes me. It makes me want to travel more places and meet more people and know their stories and share mine. I now crave making these connections. So yes, I'm in eastern Europe, actually the poorest country in all of Europe, but this experience and these challenges have opened my eyes wider than the Eiffle tower or Big Ben ever will.


Today Ana had me try this traditional Moldovan/Russian dish (Shuba!) that was big on the sour cream and fish. It wasn't my favorite, but I'm glad I tried another traditional dish. 

 Got Mikayla birthday macaroons because every one deserves something sweet on their birthday!

Mikayla's big birthday dinner! So good. Maybe too good.

Another three year old we've befriended. Again, same language level.

 Ajutor!! I got to help cut the plancinta (i love plancinte) 

 These two crack me up.
 My running buddies. 

 Ludamilla (host mom), her sister (Aunt Eugena), Mikayla, Me, and Tante Luba!

Celebrating Mikayla's Moldovan birthday!

1 comment:

  1. I agree! Eastern Europe is where it's at!

    ReplyDelete