Monday, June 29, 2015

On the struggle bus... literally

Thomas told me this great joke at work the other day... goes something like this..
"How many people can you fit on a trolly bus in Chisinau?" 
the answer..
"One more"

This couldn't be more accurate. Like people just KEEP GETTING ON!
Today was another crammed bus ride and I just don't understand the logic, there's always another bus within a 2-5 minute window! 

Alas, Moldovans don't really see this logic and would rather pack in until you literally can't breathe or move or get off or do anything. 

So I got off the struggle bus this morning only to arrive at the struggle bus that is work. I am just so completely unhelpful somedays. The lack of jobs for me to do really agitates me somedays. As much as I try to busy myself, I really miss meaningful work.
Today there was a glimpse of hope when Thomas asked if I could do drawing/tracing/design work in Adobe Illustrator. Of course I responded with an overenthusiastic yes. They were planning on redesigning the donation boxes and I was more than thrilled to help. Because Hospice Angelus is part of a network with three other Hospices under the larger UK network "Hospice of Hope", Thomas said we would be working with their design coordinator. I was so hype.
But that quickly came crashing down when they decided they didn't actually need these new pictures for the donation boxes. I guess I could say I was more than a little disappointed.

But life goes on, not working really isn't the end of the world.

I wasn't the only one on the struggle bus yesterday, so was Moldova's government--and has been for the past month or so. I really have never been one for politics though I do have my views and vote (because I went to an all-girls school, I was made very aware that I should vote because women's rights and such... Shout out to Mrs. McGrorty(Derstine), who made history fun, empowering, and eye opening) but here I love following the politics because the government is such a mess. This one guy who just won a small election and is now in office not because he is qualified, but because he was a singer on Moldova's Got Talent or something like that. Oh Moldova, aspiring celebrities are probably not the best for public office. Then again the U.S. really doesn't have much room to talk.

Some Other ways Moldova is on the struggle bus:
The wind.
Sometimes it is so windy here. Like random giant gust of wind that will pick up tables and umbrellas and throw them everywhere! It is also a pretty dusty place though they are constantly sweeping the sidewalks, so the wind is always getting stuff in my eyes which is no fun. Also wearing a dress in the wind is no fun... too many Marilyn Monroe incidents for my liking.
The sidewalks.
Honestly any paved surface is seriously struggling. I ran on a somewhat paved track/path thing this morning that was somewhat crumbling. It was around 5:30 this morning so fear of twisting an ankle definitely woke me up fast.

Thing That are not on the struggle bus and absolutely Brilliant.. two points for you Moldova.
Ice Cream
Not only is it some of the best ice-cream I've ever had --and anyone who actually knows me knows I'm an ice cream fiend, but it is some of the best packaged ice-cream. It comes in this long tub and you just cut it! Like no scooping or waiting for it to thaw! Unreal. How come we didn't think of that. Or why haven't we tried to steal this! As someone studying engineering and design, I can really appreciate a good package.

Kudos Moldova, even on a tough day you always end on a sweet note.

There using caring to hold this dilapidated building together. The run entirely around the whole structure that appears to be filled in with cement bricks. They don't really knock the buildings down here, but try to keep them around for historic reasons, which is definitely cool, but also looks really funny. I've never seen something held together like this.

The pictures really don't do it justice. 



All filled in.

Making jam with all the cherries! @Bert you would be totally into this, I always loved when we made raspberry jam.

YAS all the sugar. 



So good. I couldn't stop stealing cherries from the pot.

Goodnight Chisinau (Noapte Buna)

YAS PACKAGING GENIUSES OF MOLDOVA. KILLING THE GAME.
Really just slaying. 

Can't stop, won't stop
(making jam)

Or eating all the ice-cream (feat. Ana-Maria) 
She's the silliest. @Pax I think you two should date so I can have Moldovan inlaws. 


No comments:

Post a Comment