Monday, June 15, 2015

Still Here

I can hardly believe i'm already on my third week here in Moldova. Time has flown. Mom and Dad I've followed all your instructions very carefully ("Never share a cab" "Don't give strangers your address" "Don't walk down dark streets") and I have managed not to get taken. Also mom, the booster shots you made me get for like random diseases in third world countries... yeah that was a bit overkill. Also loading up on prescription meds because we had read that healthcare isn't as good here... yeah that might have been a tad excessive as well. Better safe than sorry though.

Today was my first day being a real Moldovan commuter because I now live in the district of Botonica, which is a twenty minute trolly bus right from the center where I work. I was such a big girl getting on the right bus and getting off at the right stop. (Shout out to Inga (my host sister), who was very concerned if I would be able to off, had recommended writing down all the bus stop names and double checking if I was even on the right bus. I made it!) So I bussed it like a champ and made it to work very early. While we are on the topic of driving, I just want to comment on how nuts it is here in Moldova. The traffic patterns straight up confuse me, and it seems that you have to be very aggressive if you ever want to leave your parking spot. Driving to the country side is always a good time. Though Mikayla and I tried to doze in the backseat on the way to Orhei yesterday, I found it impossible due to the sudden stopping, starting, swerving just to avoid the potholes that make up these "streets" . There are some really nicely paved highways here though, made possibly through U.S. funding (Thanks Obama.), but over all the streets are a mess and driving is frightening. Dad you think I'm a bad driver? You haven't seen anything. 

Other Moldovan Commentary:
...It was hella hot here this weekend. I read that the weather would be warm/mild, but it was super hot, literally sucked all the energy out of me. 
... My growing vocabulary. I think I say "multesmesc" (thank you)  and "adjutor" (to offer help) about a million times a day, mostly because I am just so gracious and everyone has been too kind, and "adjutor" because I just want to offer a hand to my host family. I am so used to just helping out around the house, making dinner, cleaning up, packing the car, ect. that it is very strange when your host family just has you sit back and relax! Mikayla and I both have struggled with this and Inga and Anna-Maria do let us do small jobs now (thanks guys).
... Okay I think my coworkers and many Moldovans would agree with me in saying that the government here is actually on crack. I think that this really super short article  sums it up pretty well. Basically things aren't so great here, and people think they might be better off with Russia while others are for joining with the European union. After yesterday's elections, the split of these parties was 50-50. Nuts right? Talk about some tension. And get this, the past prime-minister is under investigation for stealing $1 billion (EQUIVALENT to 1/8th of Moldovan gross domestic product) and potentially funneling it into the candidate who just was elected Mayor in the the town of Orhei (I was just there!) I was never super into politics, but I do know enough to say that Moldova has quite a bit of issues. But, I guess what governing system doesn't?


In continuing with my segment of
"Things we were told about Moldova that couldn't be farther from true"
I will share with you another favorite line, which has my parents seriously reconsidering sending me to Moldova..

"It has been noted that the Moldovan government has often been unable to pay the police force, leading police to turn to other means of making money. Because of multi- faceted post-Soviet instability, their cold war vigilance has turned into blatant profiteering. Their attention towards foreigners often leads to arbitrary “fines,” if not outright theft. Police have been known to single out people who stand out as tourists. Those behaving in the typical tourist fashion, such as taking photos, are particularly targeted. It has been recommended that, if you are being harassed by police, you should request an English speaker and discover the precise nature of your “offense.” Try to bargain down their proposed bid without hostility and ask for a receipt of the fine transaction."

I have yet to be fined by police, and I basically take a picture of every gate I pass by. Maybe this is because I've done such a good job as disguising myself as a Moldovan (Today another older woman stopped my for directions, I had to explain "No vorbesc Roman") My first couple days here I was seriously afraid of the police, sometimes crossing the street to avoid them and "being fined". But, the police have yet to fine me for imaginary violations.  


That's all I've got for today! Going to sleep early because Ana Maria and I are going for an early morning run!

 Giant chess because why not?
 Okay quick story! Today we were inside the post office waiting for rain to pass, and this older man came up and in very broken English asked to exchanged his 5 Lei for change. Of course I helped thinking nothing of it. Minutes later her came back in and forced this piece of candy on me and thanked me excessively. It was honestly so strange, especially because older men don't usually know any english. But, the kind gesture made my day.
 BAGS OF MILK
 Honestly the bags of mild freak me out. Like why would anyone ever want to put Milk in a bag?! 
Country living. I got to "Ajutor" Just pealing some potatoes " Cartofe " - a favorite of Mikayla's
 


2 comments:

  1. Not to rain on your parade MWes, but the milk in Bone/Cort is bagged

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha true. and that bagged milk is weird too. It goes against everything that is good and honest in this society.

      But actually, I really don't trust bagged milk.

      Delete