Sunday, June 28, 2015

What day is it and why are there so many cats

Another adventurous weekend in the books, where do I even begin.
SO Saturday I was up and out of the house before seven because we had a fundraising event "Fashion for Action". Basically nice donated clothes were sold and there were make up and henna artist and well as people selling jewelry, and then all proceeds went to the Hospice. The event was not as successful as last year, which was pretty disappointing, but we all got to drink during the event which was good. I guess working on a Saturday justifies drinking on the job. Then again maybe not.
Then again the Moldovans couldn't give two shits.
SO that was fun and exhausting, but I really like my coworkers and spending my Saturday with them.
After the event we went to Karina's (another Lehigh intern) apartment. Her host family has been away for a week now on vacation, and we planned on going out then all sleeping over there. So we popped bottles and celebrated the weekend because being when one is abroad one absolutely must make the most of it. (Responsibly of course) 
Lauren also came to hang out, and then we all went out to meet up with her Marine friends! It was a super fun night even though there was a slight taxi incident, but we all made it home safe and sound. 
*Side note: Because my boss at work talks with a British accent, I have found myself picking it up on certain words when chatting at the office. This habit of parroting the accent seems to have carried over when ever I drink. One of the Marines asked me if I was British. This habit has to go.

Waking up in Karina's apartment with all my american amigas was so fun. Karina's host family has a psycho cat who doesn't like anyone, but I befriend it anyway. I just really like cats. There are actually cats everywhere in Karina's corner of the city. About close to ten were straight chill'n in the garbage across from the apartment and they're really so cute. It's sad they don't have homes.

We then all went to get a late breakfast at La Placinte (When in doubt eat placinte.. pronounced "Pla-chin-ta. This stuff is the best. It's a flakey dough with different things inside, usually potato or cheese) Placinte was definitely a good choice after a night out if ya know what I mean, it just really hit the spot. 
Next we were off to the outside market, where there are different vendors selling handmade Moldovan things and painting. It was pretty neat, basically as touristy as it gets here in Moldova. After the market excursion we hit up Mall-dova to see what shopping would be like here. Things weren't terribly priced, but my coworkers were telling me at our fundraising event how most people just shop online because it's so much cheaper. Shopping was fun though, I almost felt like I was back in the U.S. except that we all had to figure out our European sizes. No wonder everyone's impressions of Americans are that we are fat. Our Smalls were usually European Mediums or Larges.  Most of the people here are just petite. I once commented on this at work, and my coworker Ana said it was because they were all too poor to eat. She was half-joking, half-serious. Then again, I am in the poorest country in Europe. 

All in all it was a busy weekend. Next weekend we hope to go to Cricova- the world's largest natural wine seller. There we will drink all the wine. 
Only joking
(Don't worry mom&dad)

Here is a small collection of this weekend's pictures... they are sort of random, so bare with me here. 

***
 






this is how we got people to come to our event. Beer is always a good thing. Then again maybe not.. 

Just your casual abandoned bus. I just find this stuff so intriguing. I wouldn't say this is such a typical site here, but then again no one else walking by seems very shocked by it. 

Cats. Cats everywhere. 

Cheers. Celebrating another successful week in Moldova.


Moldova really isn't so bad guys. 

I mean it's no Philadelphia, 

But, I'm a fan

And the night life isn't so bad!


At least we didn't thin so.


Some Marines! We are always happy to speak to basically anyone in English.

We just love Moldova. 

First Ice Coffee in Moldova. It was definitely hard to come by.

We then to a quick trip to the beautfiul Moldovan beaches.

Only joking, Moldova is a land locked country.

CAT FRIENDS

@meg stranick, this one's for you. 

And so is this one. 

No more scary cat pictures! Just Mikayla and I being silly.

And Karina! She is our mom here. I cannot believe she's graduated Lehigh, and will be leaving us.

never the less, I am still so blessed to have met her.




No comments:

Post a Comment