Friday, July 10, 2015

Someone get Liam Neeson on the line

This happened a few weeks ago, but I've waited for Mikayla to contact parents/program coordinators/write her blog about the experience before posting. Us Lehigh girls had a close call a few weeks back, and we were more than ready to go all Liam Neeson. I will recap the events, but honestly you should also check out Mikayla's blog if you want it from her eyes.
The other weekend we had all planned to sleep over Karina's. I had a work function all day, and Mikayla was coming from the countryside with both my and her backpacks. She arrived in Chisinau's center by trolly around nine and decided that it would be easier to just call a cab. This is completely reasonable, as it was at least a 25 minute walk and cabs are only 40 lei... (only $2). None of the taxi companies that Mikayla had called were available, and she was in a busy enough area that she felt safe enough grabbing a cab from the street.
After grabbing one of the taxis that had been parked at a nearby bar and showing the driver the direction, they embarked in the right direction. Karina's apartment was only a short way from Stefan Cel Mare, the street Mikayla had taken the cab from, so she realised immediately when he started making obvious wrong turns. Mikayla recounted that she had then repeated the street name at this point, only to have the driver ask in English "Do you know where you are going?" At this point Mikayla shared that she was starting to panic, things were obviously not right.
The driver had been going pretty fast, down pitch dark alleys, making so many turns. He then stopped the car.. in the middle of a random dark alley, jumps out and goes to open Mikayla's door. At this point, she bolts out the opposite door and down the street with both my bag and hers in hand. What a bad ass right?So Mikayla is running for her life and safety, and thank god runs into these two young girls. She yells "Ajutor!!" (Help! One of our few basic Romanian phrases). The two girls though, didn't actually understand Romanian, but only Russian and a little English. Luckily they realized that Mikayla was in a dangerous situation, and hid with Mikayla as the taxi turned around and came back down the street.
Once they were sure the man was gone, Mikayla called us and explained everything and how she now didn't know where she was. With the help of the Russian girls and Googlemaps, we were able to meet at a local restaurant chain. Poor Mikayla was so shaken up, and we were all in a state of disbelief.

I know my parents had joked a lot before I came here about not getting taken, but I never actually took it so seriously. Of course we have all been safe, practicing basic caution, but you can't take into account that bad people are out there and you might just pick the wrong taxi. After hearing the story Inga said that we should never take a taxi off the street. She said that if we ever needed one just to call, which has been so amazingly kind and helpful of her. I would love to talk to next years group of interns and explain that Chisinau is pretty safe, but there are a few things that you need to be aware of.
The scary thing is that taxi driver is still out there. Because he wasn't called, he probably doesn't even work for a legitimate taxi company. It is scary to think how easily one can not only be taken advantage here, or anywhere. It definitely doesn't help our situation that in Chisinau, the have a limited knowledge of the city as well as language.We are best of doing things in group or with the locals.

Speaking of locals, on a lighter note Ana has invited us to of to Saturday yoga with her and Irka! Then they wanted to go get smoothies or coffee here. While walking to get lunch with Ana today, I expressed just how grateful I was for this unexpected friendship. Even though Ana is six years older than me, I feel closer with her than a lot of people my age. She told me that she and Irka loved hanging out with Mikayla, Karina, and I. She also said that since returning to Chisinau from Bucharest in the past few months, she has only a few people that she genuinely enjoys hanging out with, and was so happy to become friends. She claims we are fun, which is good, but I think that we just share the same sense of silliness. We agreed that it was a shame that I wasn't visiting from a country in Europe instead of the faraway America--making visiting and meeting up again extremely difficult. But as weird as it sound, I could see myself coming back to Moldova someday.. maybe when I'm not a broke college study. Mikayla and I already confirmed that we would come to Inga's wedding, and I would totally crash Ana's as well. I couldn't be happier that I have a friend here in Moldova, but the feeling is also bitter sweet. Ana and I come from such different backgrounds, but when It comes down to it, people are people, and sometimes things just click.

I love n.1 super market lunch runs with Ana. It's really nice of Ana to help me order in Romanian, otherwise i'd be on the struggles.

Enjoying our coffee and cake. Side note Ana has fabulous hair. 

I feel as though so much of Chisinau is under construction, there are cranes all over the city. Even though it's in not the best of shape, it's good to see construction and growth. 

This building is being gutted, and I walk by it a lot. I just love the detailing around the windows, it really sets it apart from the more soviet style of some buildings.

TUCANO. Because we just don't eat enough.

Lindsey's Romanian Lei. It felt fake because it was like plastic. 

Out to dinner with Lauren and the marines! Upon entering they gave us homemade wine. That's a win.

My Lehigh girlies. 




I want one of those Moldova rugs for my room. 


I guess we like Moldova. 


No comments:

Post a Comment