Thursday, July 9, 2015

keeping perspective

Hello Hello.
I've noticed I have fallen into the habit of posting rather lack-luster accounts of my work week. Many apologies for that, I think the heat is sucking all my blogging enthusiasm out of me.
That and these early morning runs. (Thanks Coach Conely).
I also meant to post this awhile ago, it's from Florence, but I thought i was funny that as I held my gelato up to take a picture, two rowers sculled by, as if to say "hey fat ass, put the ice cream away and hit the gym".


Now you see them.
and now you don't.

It's all about perspective. Right?



These early morning wake ups are killing me. I go to sleep much later than I do in the U.S. because we are usually busy doing things and you don't want to miss out on anything. I can't believe all the four am wake ups I've had over the past school year because now I can barely get out of bed at 6-6:30. I think i've found it especially difficult to train this summer (though it is always tough to train in the off season) because of my renewed sense of disappointment in Lehigh rowing. I've learned that I can count on the team to never fails to disappoint. Here this summer, compared to summers before, I train half-heartedly. I blindly jog laps around the crumbling Chisinau track, the whole time wondering why I even try. What's even the point of all this?
Then again, I'm realizing it is a big world out there and Lehigh rowing is no more than a blip on the radar. Why even get so distraught over it?

Aren't I so worldly with this new found perspective?

After an early morning run with Inga (GO US), I went to work and witnessed some of the saddest photos I've ever seen in my entire life. I was so glad no one was in the office, because I was easily close to tears. My coworkers now read this blog.. so guys, don't judge me. Thomas asked me to look through some photos for the website, but so much of what I saw was too gruesome. Half of peoples faces, open and raw. There were missing limbs, people that were no more than corpses, and disfigurement. It was so hard to see and feel so helpless. I am amazed at the work of our doctors and nurses and all the care they provide to these not only sick, but impoverished people. I am glad to work for a Charity with such a innately good cause, but it saddens me that I am unable to do more.
I know it's cliche, but I have it good. I take for granted thing that other people pray for. I  am blessed and privileged in so many ways, which I knew.. but nothing hits that home like seeing someone so much worse off than I.

Puts things into perspective.

Because we provide all our hospice services for free, we do lots of events to raise money. This Wednesday we hosted another very successful quiz night. I really enjoy the event and keeping score (Excel spreadsheets are my favorite). The only downside was that there was no air conditioning in the big restaurant where we held the event... people left the place literally dripping. You know it's bad when you step outside into 80 degree weather and it feels cool. My lovely American Lehigh ladies again came to support me in the event, as did my fabulous host sisters and the boys from this British camp that they are assisting with.

After the event we went home and enjoyed these Lemon beers that Inga loves, and that I love too now. They were awesome and very refreshing after such a hot day.

So Wednesday was good. This experience continues to be eye-opening, more than I ever believed it would.

Me and our hospice volunteers at quiz night


All the Radlers. Inga nailed it with the beer choice.

Actually from our first trivia night, but so happy Karina, Mikayla, Lauren (U.S. Embassy ayyyy), and Lindsey came! 

Our Hospice crew! Ana, Thomas, Raluca, Ana, and Christina all at our last trivia night.



No comments:

Post a Comment