Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Odds and Ends, but mostly ends

The last two days in Chisinau were teary, but were truly the perfect ending. I'll keep it short because I know all of you are so pleased that the silly blog is finally now coming to an end! Mikayla and I spent Saturday searching for souvenirs and gifts. We were finally able after numerous rejections to find the coveted Chisinau beer glass after flirting with the waiters at Mojito (sorry Zach). The sad thing is that out of everything delicate I packed in my suitcase, the glasses were the only thing to break. I was slightly heartbroken when unpacking, to find the shards of glass, but I also was delirious from being awake for roughly 26+ hours. Alas, life goes on ...and there's no point in crying over broken glass.
After souvenir shopping with Inga, her friend Ana, and Ana-Maria, Mikayla and I went to meet up with Ana and Irka to hangout one last time. We hung out and Irka's home first, and then went over to Ana's for a girls night with pizza, a movie, and lots of wine (no regrets). I can't even begin to explain how blessed I feel to have met both of them. I didn't really see myself making truly close friends internationally, but I wanted to bring them both back to the States with me! We all promised we would meet again soon. Parting was tough, and naturally I cried. Ana and Irka made us magnets with a picture of us four from Ia mania, I was so touched. Also Irka's mom gave us parting gift of homemade raspberry liquor, preserved cherries, and glasses, how sweet!
Mikayla and I then spent the rest of the extremely hot Moldovan day in Ialoveni when our loving host family. At our final family dinner Papachica had prepared a small toast to us. I was so touched when he struggled to get the words out without breaking into tears. I was so lucky to have been taken in by the best family in all of Chisianu. They also gave us the most amazing gifts to bring home, homemade wine for my dad, a traditional woven piece for my mom, and a Moldova shirt as well as a piece of beautiful Moldovan throw rug that Mamachica's own mother had made. I love the rug, I feel like I was able to take a small piece of Moldova with me.


So here I am, 60 days later. With a few more miles under my belt, and I'm not sure I am the same Maddie Wescott I was before taking off from JFK a short two months ago. Reading through my own blog, I have found not only spelling mistakes (Still dyslexic), but a change in perspective. I think most would hardly notice this acute change, but all the same I can definitely feel it there.

Moldova has been many things for me. An adventure. A way to get out of my one square mile of a hometown. A way to avoid working three jobs. A way to avoid the real world, the looming reality of a real profession. A way to avoid the dread of summer training. A way to meet amazing, intelligent, unique people. Another family. A new language. An escape from the norm. A challenge. A way to get lost. A way to get scared shitless.

Moldova wasn't always easy either.
The first two weeks were absolutely a struggle, I was immersed completely by the whirlwind of arriving, beginning work, and living with crazy. I was saying a lot more hail marys day to day than I was used to (There's that catholic school still in me). But I believe you have to have challenge if you ever want to grow.

Soul searching in Moldova was never my intent either. I had always sort of rolled my eyes at what I thought was "Eat, Pray, Love" bs. But things inevitable change when you travel. for me, perspective and self changed especially. It's funny though because I really didn't go looking to become a whole new person, I've always joked with my friends that I really like who I am (I believe you've gotta be you're own biggest fan in life.) The thing is though, I'm not entirely sure how much I will miss Moldova now that I'm back in the states, but perhaps the person I was in Moldova. These past two months, I have found that I've learned the most about myself in the moments I am learning about others. I feel more defined. I know my edges, my limitations, my capabilities, and have lost the sense of urgency of getting to that far off place i'm going because I'll get there eventually, and getting lost isn't so bad at all.

one last number 1 meal with Mikayla.

all the Moldovan food.

The beauty in the details.

Looking over the city!

All the Moldovan souvenirs 

I was cracking up at these names.

Going to miss these two nuts.

Really going to miss them.



Love them so much.

NAILS DID



They're the cutest

One last Chisinau sunset



One last flower field! 










AMERICAN SOIL



1 comment:

  1. Yes, Moldova certainly has it's charm and significance even if most people don't know it! P.S. I hope you don't mind if I borrow the map (with the arrow highlighting Moldova)

    ReplyDelete