Monday, June 1, 2015

Why Moldova?

Quite honestly, I've landed here by mistake. When people ask "Why Moldova?" my only substantial response is that I am apparently technologically challenged when it comes to selection on online applications. Oops.
All the same, here I am, and I feel absolutely blessed to be here. But, upon meeting two other English-speaking foreigners in the past twenty-four hours, I have found that they do not remotely share my opinion of the subtle beauty of Chisinau. Today One foreigner absolutely shat on Moldova and our decision to come here.
It has not been easy to defend the choice to spend the majority of my summer in a country less than twice the size of New Hampshire next to the unrestful Ukraine. Yet after only two days here I feel fiercely compelled to defend this unique Eastern European country that is so quickly to be shat on.

"So why go?" the man at the bar asked, "to some asinine, backwards-thinking country like Moldova? Why not go somewhere with forward-thinking? Why didn't you choose to further your education with some other opportunity, to go to countries like France, English, Spain, Germany"
But, what's the fun in doing something typical.
Moldova is a challenge. I don't know from personal experience, but I believe that Foreigners in places like France, Spain, ect.. have a much larger English buffer, where as in Moldova people turn and stare as they hear us chatter in English on the Streets. Ordering food, asking for directions, and for me, even conversation at home is a challenge, where as in more popular tourist cultures, I believe this can be more easily avoided. No, I won't be able to see big Ben, the Eiffel tower, or the Venetian canals, but I get to wake up each day and face a new adventure; one that is both daunting and thrilling.
After two days here in Chisinau, I am able to cherish the small wins of each days-- The learning and pronunciation of new words and phrases, "Ce Faci", "Ajudor" ect...  or finally being able to have small conversations with Francesca after a walk in the park. It really is the little things.
Though I may be envious at times of all the sights I could have seen in Europe, I refuse to let the grandeur of most study abroad trips diminish the value of my experience here. I am falling for the simple beauty of Chisinau and ready to put Moldova on the map.

the parks are everywhere. Chisinau is a very green city.

Lunch-- Placinta! It's like this flakey crust with different things inside.. mine was potato, cheese, and bacon. 



The restaurante we ate at. Lunch was roughly $3.50 which is 63 Moldovan leu


 Lehigh's four international interns with Inna (in the middle) who really helped up get our feet on the ground in Chisinau. 















getting lost and finding our way...





Central Park feat. Mikayla



Moldova really isn't half bad. 












4 comments:

  1. Moldova's drinking age already makes it a more desirable place than the US. Keep having fun weacott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin all the pictures. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you went to Moldova before it was cool, you study abroad hipster. loving your outlook on this trip and loving this blog. atta girl, snuggs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with Moldova as well. I hope you had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete